Monday, October 05, 2015

Hellschreibner Digital

Last night was a first for me. Even after all these years in Amateur Radio.

Last week my Friend Mitch K9ZXO gave a presentation on the digital mode Hellschreibner at the Sangamon Valley Radio Club. I'd heard of Hellschreibner or "Hell" as it's affectionately known, but had never given it a try. Well this weekend I made sure my copy of the FLDIGI software was up to date and Sunday evening Mitch and I had a Hell QSO on 20 Meters. Woot!


Unlike other digital modes a decoded Hellschreibner signal is displayed as a picture on your screen as is shown in this Wikipedia image. This gives Hell a unique flavor that is really intriguing and takes advantage of that awesome Digital Signal Processor that sits between your ears under weak or noisy signal conditions.

73,

Tim N9PUZ

No comments: